What is TrueBeam®?
What is TrueBeam®?
TrueBeam® is an advanced image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) system used to treat cancer with speed and accuracy while avoiding healthy tissues and organs. TrueBeam was designed for complex cases of cancer of the lung, breast, stomach and brain. It also can be used for cancers of the liver and prostate, along with other cancers treated with radiation therapy.
TrueBeam combines respiratory gating, real-time tracking, imaging and treatment in a streamlined system. With this integration, our doctors can offer advanced treatment options, such as stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT), intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), RapidArc® and Gated RapidArc®.
TrueBeam is a versatile technology that can provide you with the treatment suited for your specific cancer and individual needs.
How it works
TrueBeam rotates around your body to deliver radiation therapy from nearly any angle. The system provides real-time imaging, which allows your doctor to direct higher doses of radiation with greater accuracy. At the same time, TrueBeam’s respiratory gating technology gives your doctor the ability to synchronize radiation beams with your breathing. For example, doctors can treat a moving lung tumor as if it were standing still. Respiratory gating also protects nearby organs and healthy tissues from unnecessary radiation.
Speed and precision are the hallmarks of the TrueBeam system:
- It can deliver treatments up to 75 percent faster than other advanced radiation machines.
- “Intelligent” automation results in up to a five-fold reduction in the steps needed for imaging, positioning and treating patients.
- A standard intensity-modulated treatment would typically take 10 minutes. With TrueBeam, it can be done in less than two minutes.
- Complex radiosurgery typically takes 40 minutes to an hour. It can be completed in 5-20 minutes using TrueBeam.
- RapidArc® technology in TrueBeam can mean treatment times as short as 1 minute.
- The system performs accuracy checks every 10 milliseconds throughout an entire treatment.
- The precision of a TrueBeam system is measured in increments of less than 1 millimeter.
- More than 100,000 data points are monitored continually during treatment to ensure safety.
TrueBeam can make the experience of receiving radiation therapy more comfortable. Most treatments take just a few minutes a day, which means less time on the treatment couch and reduced motion during treatment.
TrueBeam is quiet during operation. It has communication technology that enables interaction between you and the clinicians operating the equipment. TrueBeam also has two closed-circuit television systems so your treating clinicians can see and hear you at all times.
In Their Words
“The staff was great. I would not change anything.”
“Dr. Gullett was fantastic. I cannot dream of better care. Nursing staff was terrific. I have already recommended Dr. Gullett to friends.”
“I was very pleased with my time here. Everyone was so nice.”
“I’m glad I had to come from Cleveland…I love Dr. Gullett. Thank you all so much.”
“Very professional. Always felt comfortable…especially with Dr. Gullett.”